Board meetings have moved online, and it has become more difficult to organize them both from a technical and organizational points of view. How, in these conditions, to ensure compliance with the regulations, reach agreementsб and fix the decision with confidence?
What is board meeting protocol?
The protocols, like all other “bureaucracies”, traditionally do not cause any special enthusiasm for most of us. Nevertheless, the conference protocol is one of its components that is critical both for the correct understanding of the decisions made during the work and for the accurate documentation of the obligations and responsibilities of the participants.
In this case, it is important to understand that during the meeting, current issues and tasks that need to be addressed are always considered. This is precisely the basis of the protocol, or rather, the issues considered, the decisions made, the responsible persons.
The protocol provides for the following main points of the agreement:
- the subject of the business meeting;
- time limits;
- number of participants;
- materials for discussion and final documents of the meeting.
If necessary, you can also enter the necessary documents and other data that the meeting participants may need for further work in the minutes.
There are two types of protocols:
- Short form. This type of logging contains information about the issues considered and the decisions made. The short minutes also contain the names of those who spoke and those responsible for the decisions made. The short form does not record the full course of the event, but only provides information about decision-making on certain issues.
- Full form. This form of the minutes contains more detailed information about the course of the event. We can say that in this case, the document displays the entire event in chronological order.
How to prepare to board meetings?
Here are the basic elements of board meeting protocol:
- make a meeting plan. This way you will not forget anything and avoid confusion when setting out tasks. No plan, no clear structure. You will swim, jump from one to another. Confuse yourself and confuse the team;
- make a list of employees to invite. It all depends on the subject matter and the tasks set. If you are going to talk with department heads about increasing sales, you do not need to call an accountant;
- determine the timing. The optimal meeting time is from 30 minutes to an hour. If you communicate less, it is unlikely that you will be able to cover all work issues and let everyone speak.
- think about the structure of the meeting. Put important and priority tasks in the foreground, and discuss all kinds of corporate parties and trips to nature at the end;
- prepare documents. If you need some materials, print them out in advance so as not to get mad at the last moment or, worse, to interrupt the meeting for this. Make copies for all employees who may need it;
Organizational requirements for online meetings include:
- agreeing on the time and procedure for the meeting, issues on the agenda, and the composition of the participants,
- visualizing the agenda, preparing documents and/or working space for joint work,
- informing participants in advance about the agenda,
- work regulations and their actions,
- informing about the norms communication before the beginning and as necessary during the meeting, adherence to the agenda,
- observance of timing,
- visualization of the movement according to the regulations,
- recording the meeting with an indication of the results (decisions made, tasks set and responsible for their implementation),
- mailing out a summary of the meeting with an indication of the results.